Strategies for ...
Refusal to start a task:
- Clear modelling
- Photocopy 'work completed' after lesson and send to tutor/head of year etc.
- Take up time
- Ask student what is wrong about their page
- Ask if they're okay - can I help you?
- Task sheets/checklists
- Group students - use different colours - children get to where their colour is, students want to do more to please you
- Secret student - 3 pieces of work will be photocopied at the end of the lesson (students don't know who it is)
- Give choice and consequence
- Guide through an example question - ask what the problem is
- Initiate a conversation
- Antiseptic bounce (this is a strategy where you prearrange that a child can go to 'cool down' with a senior teacher, if you notice the student is about to 'kick off' you ask them to go and fetch something for you - 'antiseptic' - from that teacher)
- Inform parents