Strategies for ...
- Don’t let yourself get drawn in – walk away/pause
- Give the student choices
- Ask another teacher/TA to take over so you can discuss the situation with the child
- “I’m not going to talk about this now, we’re going to talk about it later/at lunch" - walk away immediately and praise another child
- You started with “Yeah, but” so I win
- "I am the teacher. Thank you"
- “Concentrate on your own actions, not others”
- "It is not a debate"
- "Come at lunch and we can talk then"
- “I am not having this conversation”
- Say thank you so there is no argument
- “I’ll talk to you at the end”
- Avoid escalating the problem – discuss away from the class
- “You’re wasting your learning time”
- Completely ignore and restate what you asked for